Different jobs require different types of tests to help ensure that the applicant possesses the necessary knowledge, skills, and abilities to perform a particular job. The interview and selection process may include:
- Written tests to measure job-related knowledge or aptitude in a particular area.
- Oral interviews to discuss job history and to assess a candidate's oral communication, interpersonal, and problem-solving skills.
- Performance tests to assess a candidate's ability to perform job-related tasks.
- Physical ability tests or medical examinations to assess a candidate's ability to meet the physical requirements of a particular job.
- Polygraph examinations, psychological evaluations, medical evaluations, background investigations, and other similar types of examinations or evaluations may be used to assess a candidate's suitability for a particular position.
- Some city positions may require an applicant to pass a pre-employment reference screen, criminal history check, or drug screen.