Miami-Hillcrest Roundabout Project
- Design, Procurement, and Permitting: Completed January 2019
- Project Award: March 2019
- Estimated Reopening Date: Mid-September 2019
- Estimated Completion Date: November 2019
- Project Designer: Felsburg, Holt, and Ullevig (Centennial, CO)
- Project Surveyor Del-Mont Consultants (Montrose, CO)
- Construction Contractor: K&D Construction (Grand Junction, CO)
- Design: $110k
- Construction: $1.7M (anticipated)
As part of a long-range traffic planning effort and in response to neighborhood petitions, congestion, and safety issues experienced through the corridor, the city performed a traffic study of Hillcrest Drive from Main to Niagara back in 2016. This study recommended the installation of roundabouts at the intersections of Miami, Sunnyside, and Niagara as both the near- and long-term solution to these issues.
In response to these recommendations, the city designed and constructed the first of these three roundabouts at Sunnyside and Hillcrest in the summer of 2016. Sunnyside was chosen to receive the first roundabout as this intersection was experiencing the worst delays and the city had already owned all of the right of way necessary to construct the roundabout. The other two intersections both required the purchase of additional right of way which typically turns into a multi-year process.