Historic Preservation Commission
The Historic Preservation Commission was established under the city's Historic Preservation ordinance. The Commission:
- Conducts surveys and create inventories of historic sites, properties, and areas for the purpose of defining those of historic significance
- Reviews and determines qualifications of buildings, structures, objects, sites and districts nominated for designation and makes recommendations to the City Council
- Recommends to the City Council the establishment of construction and design standards
- Reviews and make recommendations on any application for alteration, relocation or demolition of a designated asset that may affect the character or integrity of the designated property
- Advises and assists owners on physical and financial aspects of preservation, rehabilitation, restoration and reconstruction, including nomination to the city's Historic Register, the State Register of Historic Properties and the National Register of Historic Places
- Develops and assists in public education programs on history and historic preservation
- Actively pursues financial assistance for preservation-related programs
- Drafts and recommends for adoption by the City Council such by-laws, operating policies and other rules of procedure as the Commission may deem appropriate
The Commission is appointed by the City Council. At least 60% of its members are residents of the city and at least 40% of the members are professionals or individuals with extensive expertise in a preservation-related discipline, including but not limited to history, architecture, landscape architecture, American studies, American civilization, cultural geography, cultural anthropology, planning or archaeology.
Members serve three-year, staggered terms from the date of their appointment. A chairperson presides over the commission's meetings, one member to serve as the vice-chairperson and one member to serve as secretary. The members so designated shall serve in these capacities for terms of one year.
Notices will be published when the city is seeking applicants for Commission vacancies. Individuals interested in serving on the Commission must complete an application and submit it to the City Clerk by the published deadline.