A city ordinance, approved by the Montrose City Council in 2013, established a permit system to regulate residential commercial door-to-door sales. All commercial solicitors must apply for and receive a solicitation permit from the city before soliciting within the City of Montrose.
What is commercial solicitation?
Commercial solicitation is defined as attempting to make personal contact with a resident at his or her residence, without prior specific invitation by or appointment with the resident, for the purpose of:
- Attempting to sell, for present or future delivery, any goods, wares or merchandise or any services to be performed immediately or in the future.
- Personally delivering to the resident a handbill or flyer advertising a commercial event, activity, good or service that is offered to the resident for the purchase at a location away from the residence or at a future time."
Commercial solicitors are "Any person, whether as a volunteer, owner, agent, consignee or employee, who engages in door-to-door commercial solicitation."
What is non-commercial solicitation?
Non-commercial solicitors are allowed to go door-to-door if a residence does not have a "No Trespassing" or "No Solicitation" sign posted. This includes religious, political, non-profit, public entities such as schools and government, newspapers, and magazine subscriptions.
Commercial Solicitor Requirements
All commercial solicitors are required to:
- Acquire a city-issued permit
- Display a city-issued photo ID badge
- Provide a list of all individuals who will be soliciting for the company
- Possess a valid City of Montrose sales tax license
- Refrain from soliciting at any address on the city's No Solicitation list
- Refrain from soliciting at any address where a "No Trespassing" or "No Soliciting" sign is posted.
To prevent solicitors at your door:
- Complete the online no solicitation form which bans all commercial solicitation, but non-commercial solicitation is still allowed.
- Residents may post a "No Trespassing" or "No Soliciting" sign.
To Report Violations
Please contact non-emergency dispatch at (970) 249-9110.