Door-to-Door Solicitation

A city ordinance, approved by the Montrose City Council in 2013, established a permit system to regulate residential commercial door-to-door sales. All commercial solicitors must apply for and receive a solicitation permit from the city before soliciting within the City of Montrose.

What is commercial solicitation?

Commercial solicitation is defined as attempting to make personal contact with a resident at his or her residence, without prior specific invitation by or appointment with the resident, for the purpose of:

  • Attempting to sell, for present or future delivery, any goods, wares or merchandise or any services to be performed immediately or in the future.
  • Personally delivering to the resident a handbill or flyer advertising a commercial event, activity, good or service that is offered to the resident for the purchase at a location away from the residence or at a future time."

Commercial solicitors are "Any person, whether as a volunteer, owner, agent, consignee or employee, who engages in door-to-door commercial solicitation."

What is non-commercial solicitation?

Non-commercial solicitors are allowed to go door-to-door if a residence does not have a "No Trespassing" or "No Solicitation" sign posted. This includes religious, political, non-profit, public entities such as schools and government, newspapers, and magazine subscriptions.

Commercial Solicitor Requirements

All commercial solicitors are required to:

  • Acquire a city-issued permit
  • Display a city-issued photo ID badge
  • Provide a list of all individuals who will be soliciting for the company
  • Possess a valid City of Montrose sales tax license
  • Refrain from soliciting at any address on the city's No Solicitation list
  • Refrain from soliciting at any address where a "No Trespassing" or "No Soliciting" sign is posted.

To prevent solicitors at your door:

  • Complete the online no solicitation form which bans all commercial solicitation, but non-commercial solicitation is still allowed.
  • Residents may post a "No Trespassing" or "No Soliciting" sign.

To Report Violations

Please contact non-emergency dispatch at (970) 249-9110.