Business Owner Responsibilities

Business Responsibilities

All businesses are responsible for ensuring that they comply with all applicable federal, state, and local regulations governing the operation of their business including, but not limited to, subtitles C and D of the Resource Conservation and Recovery Act (RCRA), Code of Federal Regulations, and City of Montrose Municipal Code, (Title III, Chapter 6).

Due to the design of the city of Montrose’s Wastewater Treatment Plant the following wastes are not accepted:

  • Grease interceptor wastes
  • Hazardous wastes from groundwater remediation
  • Hazardous wastes from industrial processes
  • Medical waste of any kind including expired pills
  • Oil and gas frac water waste
  • Sand/oil interceptor waste

A+ Business

The A+ Business Program assists businesses by giving them their name in the newspaper, their name on the city website for a year, and a certificate of appreciation. There are three areas of emphasis: restaurants, significant industrial users (SIUs), and dental offices.

Please fill out the proper paperwork and return it to the Industrial Pretreatment Coordinator at either City Hall, or mail to P.O. Box 790, Montrose, Colorado 81402, or fax it to 970-252-4751, or call 970-240-2451 and we will pick it up.


According to the Code of Federal Regulations, the city of Montrose is charged with knowing what businesses are in Montrose, regardless of the types of waste they generate. All businesses are required to complete a simple questionnaire. Additional follow-up will be scheduled for certain types of businesses.

Better Management Practices

Most businesses are required to do some sort of Better Management Practices. Here we are able to distribute the BMP's to all businesses. If you have questions please feel free to ask.

Discharge Authorization Order

According to city ordinances, if you feel your business could be a categorical industrial user (CIU) or significant industrial user (SIU) please contact the IPP department and schedule a meeting. If you are an SIU or CIU, please fill out the Discharge Authorization Order found on this page. After this you will be permitted and placed on a schedule.