Planning and Building Services
Planning Services facilitates and manages the city's development process. Staff from this department evaluate development proposals and report to the Planning Commission on subdivisions, zoning, special requests, and master plan updates. The department also works on short and long-term planning goals, special studies to support the needs of the city, and building permits and inspections.
All of these services work in unison to preserve and enhance the quality of life in the City of Montrose.
A snapshot of our community provides a brief overview of how Montrose has developed over the past decade and how it is positioned for additional growth in the future.
Documents and Resources
- The Comprehensive Plan, approved in 2021, is the city's primary long-term planning tool.
- Uncompahgre Riverway Master Plan
- US 550 Access Control Plan
The Building Department issues building permits and provides plan checks and building inspection services for:
- Final issuance of certificates of occupancy
- Heating and cooling
A list of building permits issued by the city is published each month.
Building regulations for the City of Montrose are found in the following chapters of Title IV of the City of Montrose Municipal Code:
Planning Services administers the following permits:
- Building Permit
- Gas Permit
- Mobile Home Park Construction Permit
- Plumbing Permit
- Temporary Structure Permit
- Temporary Location or Occupancy of Travel Home Permit
- Water/Sewer Connection Permit
- Amended Plat Application
- Amended Preliminary Plat Application
- Annexation Application
- Boundary Adjustment Application
- Change in Nonconformity Application
- Final Plat Application
- Large Retail Site Development Application
- Minor Subdivision Application
- Outdoor Dining in Public Right of Way
- Preliminary Plat Application
- Redo Application
- Re-Zoning Application
- Right of Way Encroachment Permit
- Site Development Application and Checklist
- Sketch Plan Application
- Temporary Use Permit for Premises
- Tower Siting Permit
- Travel Home Park Permit
- URBZ Application
- Variance Application
Permits and license titles are linked to application information when practical. For further information about any permit listed, contact Planning Services.