Trash & Recycling Services
Residential trash is collected on a fixed, once-a-week schedule. The Trash Collection Routes Map shows collection days for each area of the city. Contact Public Works at 970-240-1480 on for the pickup day for a specific location.
All trash containers must be at the designated collection location no later than 6 a.m. on the scheduled collection day.
The current trash collection fee for single-family residences is $14.40 per month for once-a-week pickup. An extra 90-gallon container can be obtained for an additional $10 monthly fee. Extra container service must be maintained for a minimum of eight months.
Trash service fees are included with water and sewer charges on monthly utility bills.
Commercial customers can arrange pickup for up to four days per week, Monday through Thursday. Businesses can contact Public Works for pickup schedules for a specific location.
Monthly non-residential rates are calculated using the following formula: (Rate)*((Gallon capacity of container * number of pickups per week)*52)/12. The current non-residential rate is $0.022 per gallon.
The City of Montrose views recycling as an important part of being responsible stewards of the environment. Recycling is also compatible with the city's efforts to maintain low-cost sanitation services.
Visit the Recycling Services page for complete information about the city's programs for reducing waste volume by recycling, composting, and encouraging waste avoidance.
- Is it acceptable to place furniture, large items or overflow trash next to a dumpster or trash container?
- How can I schedule special trash pickup services and what is the cost?
- If my normal trash pickup day falls on a city-observed holiday, what day will it be collected?
- How do I dispose of household hazardous waste?
- What day does my trash get picked up?
- Why wasn't my trash picked up today?
Customers can arrange non-routine collections for large loads or items that are not allowed during regular collection service. Special collections can be arranged by calling 970-240-1480 or 970-240-1400. Collection rates are as follows:
- $15.00 minimum fee for non-scheduled residential collections*
- $30.00 minimum fee for non-scheduled large residential collections*
- $50.00 minimum fee for non-scheduled commercial collections*
- $150.00 for large non-scheduled commercial collections*
- Please note: Time, equipment and landfill fees, where applicable, are in addition to the minimum fee
- $30.00 per half hour
- $50.00 per hour
- $20.00 - in addition to any applicable collection fee
Temporary Additional Containers
- $45.00 for 350-gallon trash container – includes delivery and one empty. $30.00 for each additional empty.
- $15.00 for 90-gallon trash container – includes delivery and one empty. $15.00 for each additional empty.
Prohibited Items and Disposal Options
Electronics, toxic, explosive, hazardous or extremely flammable materials, materials contaminated with contagious diseases, and dead animals are not permitted in city trash collection services.
The city provides special collection services for construction waste, furniture and appliances, tree limbs, freight packaging and other materials that are not allowed under the routine trash collection service. Fees will be charged on the customer's monthly utility bill according to the amount and type of materials that are collected (see the "Additional Services" section on this page). To schedule a special pick up, call 970-240-1480 or 970-240-1400.
Local businesses and organizations provide recycling services for some types of special waste. These recycling services are listed in the City of Montrose Recycling Guide. See the Special Waste Disposal page for helpful information about disposing of electronic waste (e-waste), household hazardous waste, paint, and green waste.
Scheduled trash collections that fall on a city-observed holiday will be rescheduled to occur on another day of the same week, as described in the Holiday Schedule and Routes Map document. Customers with questions about holiday collection schedules can also call 970-240-1480.
City-observed holidays are: New Years Day, President's Day, Memorial Day, Independence Day, Labor Day, Columbus Day, Veterans Day, Thanksgiving, and Christmas.
Report Illegal Dumping
Illegal dumping increases the cost of city sanitation services and spoils the appearance of our community. It is illegal to deposit refuse on streets, alleys, or any other public area or to use any city trash container without authorization. Illegal dumping is punishable by a maximum $1000 fine and up to one year in jail.
Your cooperation is needed to stop illegal dumping. If you observe illegal dumping, collect the vehicle license number and any other information that will help identify the offender. Then contact the city's Code Enforcement Officer immediately.