Animal Services provides both animal control and animal sheltering functions for the City of Montrose.
Connect with the Animal Shelter on Facebook.
Animal control enforces city ordinances relating to animals. These ordinances prevent or minimize nuisances caused by the improper or irresponsible care of animals.
Animal control officers are certified by the State of Colorado Animal Control Association. They provide humane care to all animals, birds, and reptiles at large.
Animal control regulations are found in Chapter 6-2 of the City of Montrose Municipal Code.
Looking for a lost pet? View stray animals that are currently housed at the Animal Shelter.
Adoption hours: Monday thru Friday, 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. and Saturday, 9 a.m. to 2 p.m.
Animals will be available to view only during these hours.
View animals that are up for adoption at the Animal Shelter.
- Dogs 8 weeks to 1 year of age - $100 per dog
- Dogs over 1 year of age - $75 per dog
- Cats 8 weeks to 1 year of age - $50 per cat
- Cats over 1 year of age - $30 per cat
Owner relinquishments are taken by appointment only, please call the Animal Shelter to schedule an appointment.
- Cats (over 1 year of age) - $20
- Kitten (under 1 year of age) - $10
- Dogs (over 1 year of age) - $35
- Puppy (under 1 year of age) - $25
Spay & Neuter Services
Spay and neuter services are available from local veterinarians. The Montrose Animal Protection Agency (MAPA) offers vouchers through local veterinarians to assist with the cost of spaying/neutering. Please contact a veterinarian to ask about this service.
The city sponsors spay and neuter clinics that are advertised well in advance. Call the Animal Shelter for more information or go to our Facebook page for information and links to sign up for the clinics.
The fee for adopting pets from the Animal Shelter includes spay/neuter, vaccination, and microchip.
3383 N. Townsend Ave.
P.O. Box 790
Montrose, CO 81402
Shelter hours: Mon - Fri, 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. and Sat, 9 a.m. to 3 p.m.
Adoption hours: Monday - Fri, 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. and Sat, 9 a.m. to 2 p.m.
Reclaim hours: Mon - Sat, 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.
Owner relinquishments by appointment only. Please call the Animal Shelter to schedule an appointment.
Closed on Sundays and holidays
Animal Control Officer
Mon - Fri
7:00 a.m. – 6:00 p.m.
Animal Control Enforcement
- How many pets am I allowed to keep at my residence in the City of Montrose?
- Does the city code provide any restrictions on barking dogs?
- Am I required to license my pets in the City of Montrose?
- Does the city have a leash law?
- Am I required to keep my dog or cat in my yard?
- Can I tether my dog on a rope, chain, or cable?
- When should mistreatment of animals be reported?
- Does the city provide spay/neuter services?