Special Event Assistance
The City of Montrose will be coordinating the special events program
previously run by the Montrose Association of Commerce and Tourism. In
this transition year, the City has allocated $35,000 in event support.
This money will be granted to individuals/organizations that plan events
The objective of the City’s special event assistance is to develop a partnership with local businesses/organizations in the Montrose community to promote tourism and attract regional visitors. Events may be cultural, ethnic, historical, educational and recreational or a combination thereof.
Events should have strong appeal to a large part of our community and potential visitors. The resulting economic benefits of this program are intended to promote the general welfare of our area by filling hotels, restaurants and increase shopping with our local businesses.
As part of the City’s special events assistance program, the City of Montrose may provide not only financial assistance, but direct in-kind assistance tailored to each event’s needs. Assistance that may be provided includes:
Application and Approval Process
- Event liability insurance is available if the event is held on public property within City limits.
- (If event liability insurance is accepted through the City, the cost of the insurance will be deducted from financial assistance provided.)
- Applying for an event use permit and/or special event permit (liquor).
- Closing Main Street for a large event.
- Creating a calendar event to be posted on the web portal www.montrose.org and www.visitmontrose.com as well as link to pertinent websites.
The City of Montrose will review applications for assistance twice a year, once in the spring and once in the fall. The spring deadline is Thursday, May 2, 2013
, and the fall deadline is Thursday, October 3, 2013
. The City may, without cause or reason, decline to support any application. The City has the final decision on what assistance may be provided. Applicants should receive a response within 45 days after the application deadline.
Special Event Forms
- Promote tourism in Montrose.
- Encourage overnight stays in the community by out-of-town visitors.
- Encourage attendance from the Montrose community.
- Establish a long term investment in the community. In doing so, Montrose’s yearly calendar of events is strengthened.
- Adequately report evaluations of impact no later than 60 days after conclusion of the event.