Off-Leash Dog Area/Park
The Montrose Dog Park is located in the Riverbottom Park area north of the large duck pond. It is within easy walking distance along the Uncompahgre River Recreation Trail from the parking area.
The 1.4-acre park has separate fenced areas, one for small dogs and one for large dogs. There is an entryway or calming area where handlers can unleash their dogs before letting them go into the main fenced area. The City of Montrose has installed a picnic table, provided concrete culverts for the dogs to run through, placed boulders and provided a pet station so owners can pick up after their pets. Handlers should expect to provide their own waste bags to pick up after their pets.
Dog Area/Park Map
The park is open from sunrise to sunset and all pets must be on-leash until within the Off-Leash Dog Area.
The complete rules
are posted on the site and include the following:
- Use of this facility is at your own risk. The City of Montrose is not liable for any injury or damage caused by any dog in the off-leash area.
- Puppies younger than 4 months
- Female dogs in season/heat
- More than 3 dogs per owner/guardian
- Glass containers of any kind
- Assure that all dogs are licensed and vaccinated. Current tags must be worn at all times.
- Must “scoop the poop” and fill any holes dug by dogs.
- Carry leash for each dog at all times.
- Control dogs exhibiting aggressive behavior – either by leashing or by removing the offending dog from the park.
- Assume responsibility for any injuries caused by the dog(s) under their control.
Background and Funding
“Friends in Dog Ownership” (FIDO) were instrumental in having an off-leash dog park in Montrose. This group of volunteers, over the last five years, has raised approximately $13,000 to pay for the fencing and installation. FIDO held numerous fund raising events from garage sales to Fun Runs with your dog.
FIDO plans to continue to raise money to improve and enhance the park.