The Community Development Department has worked closely with local business owners, sign companies, citizens, community organizations and elected officials to create a Sign Code
that balances the desires of these different groups.
You are able to apply for Special Events Permits online, but Permanent Sign Permits
must be submitted to the Community Development Department in hard copy form.
The Montrose Sign Code now allows off-premise signs. However, a Colorado Department of Transportation (CDOT) Permit is required prior to City issuance of a permit for off-premise signs along all state highways. Please contact Jerry Miller, CDOT Program Manager, at 303-757-9273 or
Any questions regarding the Sign Code can be directed to the Community Development office via an online form
or by calling 970-240-1477.
No permit is required if:
Special Event Signs
- The temporary sign (banner) will be no larger than 64 square feet, and
- Only one temporary sign may be displayed at any one time
- Balloons, streamers, pennants, and hand-held signs, etc. are only allowed as part of a Special Event Permit. Permits are valid for 96 hours and may be issued consecutively. Up to 12 (twelve) special events may be held per calendar year.
- All signs must be located on-premise.
- There are size and height limitations for banners, balloons, streamers, and pennants.
- Banners and special events signage are only allowed in non-residential zoning districts.
For more specific information visit the links below: