The primary function of Montrose’s Industrial Pretreatment Program (IPP)
is to prevent the introduction of pollutants into the sanitary sewer
system that could interfere with the operation of the Waste water
Treatment Plant, cause damage to the sewer system, or pass through the
treatment plant to the Uncompahgre River. We are primarily designed to
treat domestic sewage, non-domestic waste water has the potential to
harm the biological treatment processes used at the treatment plant.
Regulation of businesses and industries through this program ensures the
protection of the environment and the safety of wastewater treatment
personnel as well as the local community.
3315 N. Townsend Ave
P.O. Box 790
Montrose, CO 81401
Ph: (970) 240-1451
Fax: (970) 252-4751
7:00 am - 5:30 pm
Monday - Thursday
Issuing discharge permits,
performing site inspections, monitoring discharges, and enforcing
pretreatment standards and requirements provides the necessary
Program experts help increase local awareness by educating businesses about program requirements. Current and accurate resources
such as best management practices, manuals, regulations and local limits are made available to anyone.
The responsibilities of IPP are:
- To monitor, assists, sample, and inspect local businesses and industries for compliance.
- Maintain an active Industrial Waste Survey.
- To prevent the introduction of pollutants into the Publicly Owned Treatment Works that could pass through the treatment works or be incompatible with treatment operations and/or the use or disposal of biosolids.
- To protect the general health and safety of waste water treatment plant and collection system employees.
- To administer pretreatment discharge permits, and enforcement.
- To provide education regarding BMP, pollution prevention and waste minimization.
- To respond to illicit discharges to the sanitary sewer system.
- To enforce applicable United States Environmental Protection Agency categorical standards.